Monday, December 8, 2014

Birthday Surprise

When I woke up this morning, I unlocked my smartphone, checked my email, and saw a flood of emails reminding me I was now a year older. *groan*


While the majority were from friends, there were also a bunch from a variety of businesses wishing me a happy birthday — not to mention including coupons and special offers in the message as well.

If you recall from a blog post last week, I'm not a huge fan of over-personalizing business emails with names and other info. In this case however... it works.


Of course I know the emails are automatically generated. Of course I know it's just a marketing tactic. But at the same time, there's a certain feeling that goes with knowing a company took the time and effort to want to make someone's special day just a bit more meaningful.

So that brings us to today's tip: if you don't already have an email birthday marketing solution in place, I highly recommend implementing one. Write a heartfelt message, have a designer create a complementary template, and be sure to craft an offer that the recipient will appreciate.

Who knows? You might get some additional business coming through! But at the very least, you're generating some well-earned goodwill.

-Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment